Wednesday 23 June 2010

Get me to the car


While the rest of the UK was either watching the world's longest tennis match at Wimbledon or England getting through to the next stage of the World Cup today, I coincidentally had the day off from work and spent it on the beach with friends. We decided to spend this evening watching the new Jonah Hill/Russell Brand film 'Get Him to the Greek', if you haven't seen it yet - don't waste your money like I did.
When I tell you that the best thing about it were the scenes featuring P Diddy acting, you get an idea of just how awful it was. Not only has Hill's weight become so distracting now that it's impossible to enjoy any of his acting, but Brand plays the same one-dimensional un-likeable character (the only type of character he can play) as he does in 'Sarah Marshall' - a film only marginally better than this. I don't know if my perception of the film was slightly affected by the fact we were sat so close to the screen I could have swam in the actor's pores, that it was about 40c in the cinema or that a woman who found it necessary to narrate the thing, was sat behind us. In summary - I didn't like it.
During the film my friend turned to me and asked when was the last time I had seen a good film, at the cinema or at home? I couldn't think of one. I did enjoy the new SATC, but was it a good film? Not particularly. I think the last one may have been Guy Ritchie's 'Sherlock Holmes' which was released 6 months ago. One decent film in 6 months and counting is either saying a lot about the state of mainstream cinema in 2010 or a lot about my tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment