Monday 28 June 2010

Have Faith in yourself, Paloma

To your left is singer/songwriter Paloma Faith at this year's Glastonbury festival and I only have one thing to say: Paloma, you are not, I repeat NOT, Lady Gaga, Roisin Murphy or Grace Jones.
Being a fan of all four ladies, I run the risk of being hypocritical when I say that all these bizarre costumes Faith continues to wear are a major distraction and completely unnecessary. My reasoning is this; Gaga, Jones and Murphy are all performance artists both visually and in their music, their style is big, dramatic and lean towards the avant garde. Paloma's music is not. For example, if I was going out to a club, on goes my copy of 'The Fame Monster'. If I was having friends over for dinner or fancied chilling out, on goes my copy of Faith's début album (which by the way is fantastic).
The image she is trying to portray does not reflect her music, which is a shame as her album is no less exciting than any dance song you can hear on the radio. Her talent is undeniable to those who have heard it, but when she dresses this way it does her no favours other than perhaps a few comments from fashion columnists. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for pushing boundaries and defying expectations but only when it compliments the music and doesn't distract from it. The next time I hear the amazing "Stone Cold Sober", I don't want to be thinking about giant inflatable fruit attached to her bra (that is not a suggestion by the way).

No comments:

Post a Comment